Virginia Beach, the Resort City, offers miles of waterfront, sandy coastlines, mild weather, and endless festivals. With miles of sand and year-round vacation environment, the city entices travelers throughout the year. Soak up the sunshine, stroll along the Virginia Beach Boardwalk, relax and unwind on the beaches, and explore the museums, historic sites and state parks when in Virginia Beach. Did you know that Virginia Beach holds the record in the Guinness Book of World Records for possessing the longest pleasure beach in the world? Read on to know some more facts about the Resort City of Virginia.
Image by gargola87 via Wikimedia Commons
Virginia Beach's Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Virginia Beach is situated on the Atlantic coast in southeastern Virginia.
- It is the largest city in Virginia.
- It is the most populous city in the state.
- Virginia Beach is an independent city.
- It is the thirty-ninth most populous city in the US.
- It is part of Hampton Roads metropolitan area.
- It is home to twelve military installations.
- It is near to many cities in North Carolina than Virginia cities.
- The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel links Virginia Beach to the Delmarva Peninsula.
- The ethnic composition in Virginia Beach includes: Caucasian or White-67.7%, African American or Blac-19.6%, Asian-6.1%, American Indian-0.4%, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander-0.1%, Latino or Hispanic-6.6%, two or more races-4.0%, and some other race-2.0%.
Virginia Beach's Historical Fast Facts
- The foremost English settlers in American came in 1607 at Cape Henryat, the Virginia Beach tip.
- In 1621, Lynnhaven bay made the first permanent settlement in the city.
- In 1906, Virginia Beach became the town.
- In 1952, it was incorporated as a city.
- Virginia Beach and Princess Anne County merged in 1963.
Virginia Beach's Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Virginia Beach has a council-manager form of government.
- It was established as a municipal corporation by the Virginia Beach General Assembly.
- Tourism is the backbone of the Virginia Beach economy.
- The city’s economy is also supported by military sector and agribusiness sector.
- Virginia Beach is home to several US military bases.
- It has lower crime rate than other regional cities of the state.
Virginia Beach's Important and Interesting Fast Facts
- Virginia Beach is a travel spot or resort city with hundred of hotels and motels, restaurants near the oceanfront and miles of beaches.
- Virginia Beach is nicknamed as “The Resort City”, and “Neptune City”.
- The city’s famous festival is the Neptune Festival that draws lakhs of visitors to the beach each year.
- Virginia Beach holds the record in the Guinness Book of World Records for possessing the longest pleasure beach in the world.
- Mount Trashmore, one of the largest landfills in the United States is in Virginia Beach.
- The daily newspaper of the city is “The Virginian-Pilot”.